Monday, July 7, 2008

end of death by powerpoint

I spent some time reflecting on how to make my PowerPoint presentations more engaging.
What I have noticed is that I, like so many teachers/presenters, seem to have fallen into the trap of making my powerpoints full of the content of our presentation - with endless text and bullet points. I have heard some of my colleagues say that they don't need a lesson plan because it is all in their powerpoint.
I have reached this point in my thinking because of several factors
  • a presentation on brain based learning I attended last year where I came across the phrase "Death by PowerPoint" for the first time
  • a desire to teach more from a conceptual rather than a content perspective
  • thinking about the "crowded curriculum" and who makes it crowded - often me
  • reflection on the number of slides I sometimes have in a presentation - mostly of content
  • the linear nature of powerpoint - start at the beginning and work through to the end
  • a desire to make my presentations more flexible so I can respond to the direction of my students without someone complaining I have missed somenthing out not finished
  • a desire to make my presentations more memorable
  • an intention to make the talk parts of my classes shorter and have more time for classroom exercises and discussion
  • a desire to make more use of images to connect with student emotions
  • a reflection that printing powerpoint handouts is not the best way to communicate content with students

I have been watching quite a few TED Talks on the internet and looked carefully at the powerpoint presentations. Many of these were graphics rather than words and the presenters spoke for their alloted 20 minutes without reading from text on the slides. The talks are full of emotion, enthusiasm and interest and I thought I would like to try it

So I took one of my regular powerpoints - mostly text and some images. I analysed it

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

TESTING

Anonymous said...

Hi Lin,
After hearing and reading your thoughts on PowerPoint, I reviewed a 'show' that I use regularly. I decided that it would be more effective if it was shorter, with a better proportion of attention-grabbing visuals. I've deleted some of the slides, and am now looking at clipart vs photos. Both are good for keeping students awake! Sue