Monday, June 16, 2008

Podcasts and streaming video

Session three

Another interesting session!
I had doubts about whether I had the time available to be involved in this project. Now after three weeks I am very pleased I signed up.

Already I have learned so much.

So far I have:

  1. Acquired two pieces of equipment to help a colleague with her project- an eeepc and a digital photo frame
  2. Set up this blog
  3. Reviewed eportfolios and discovered the difference between blogs and eportfolios
  4. Found out the advantages and challenges of podcasts versus streaming video from the institute server (I had planned to make podcasts but think I will start with streaming video)
  5. Considered privacy issues with material held on the net - and thought about what is the best platform for me to use for my reflections - will continue with this blog but I am also using onenote in office 2007 - since it connects with my PDA and has good screen capture and live links - not so good for photos or videos - but they do not form a big part of my reflections as yet. I am interested in the levels of privacy eportfolios can provide
  6. Set up delicious (query spelling) and google bookmarks so I can access them from any computer
  7. Started to collect material for my first video
  8. Started to plan for videos 2 & 3
  9. Applied to have the smartboard software on my work computer - and next step my laptop - I am looking forward to creating interesting and interactive material for my classes next semester
  10. Set up training for my colleagues on the use of the smartboard - trying to get them enthusiastic so we can apply for funding to have them in two more classrooms
  11. Checked out other's blogs and posted comments
  12. Requested purchase of a digital recorder to assist in this project
  13. Found out how to play videos full screen from the server
  14. Answered one of my questions from the first session - how much can we trust digital information? - not much - it is so easy to edit and change

We have been encouraged to use a three step reflective process (Bronwyn Hegarty 2007):

  • Step 1: Take notice & describe the experience
  • Step 2: Analyse the experience
  • Step 3: Take Action

So what did I notice this afternoon? That creating digital material to support student learning is both interesting and time consuming. I enjoyed playing with the apple mac computer and seeing the seamless ease with which it can help with creating and editing sounds, images and movies. I can't wait to play. If I had not bought a new laptop at the beginning of this year I would have gone for a Mac.

Analysis: The Mac makes creating these digital materials more achievable without huge amounts of technical support - I will be able to do it myself (I think)

Action:

  1. plan my first video - What is it going to be about? Who exactly is the audience? What do they want to know/learn? what is the best way of getting this message across? how can I make it interesting and engaging? beginning, middle and end?
  2. make the sound recordings for the introduction and voice overs etc
  3. Collect sound effects
  4. video my own material to set the scene

Also:

  • Check out teacher tube for useful videos
  • Download Audacity software to PC to record and edit sounds
  • Try out mac laptop for imovies and garageband

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Setting up a video/movie where I can edit and maintain is still a galaxy away it seems, my knowledge of software is somewhat limited and I find, I can't get into creating videos or at least be drawn to it, perhaps in time the yearning to create via video/movie would become a natural reaction?